a SDCC15 recap

6:08 AM

sdcc15-17

Comic Con is one of those things that's hard to describe without sounding like a crazy person.

It's four and half days of just pure geekery, where like minded people come together and just enjoy the things that they enjoy, whether it's art and comics to video games and movies. I feel like there's always something in Comic Con for everyone, and the possibility of bumping into your favorite actors is a plus as well.

Like last year, I managed to get in as a volunteer, which meant that in exchange for 3 hours of my time helping out, I was guaranteed a badge for every day I volunteered. Which is honestly a pretty good deal, if you can get in as a volunteer I recommend it. Plus, the volunteer t-shirt (the blue one on top) is always nice to collect. I only went on Preview Night and Saturday, but I seriously had a great con this year!

Warning: this is definitely a doozy of a post ahead!

sdcc15-03

Obligatory Comic Con selfie! Because when else can you wear cat ears and literally no one bat an eye at you? This was taken after the hell that was my volunteering. Last year I ended up Artist Alley and that was a cake walk, this year I was with pre-registeration which involved assembling the bags and freebies that you get with your pass - a San Diego guide, the Comic Con Souvenir book, a lanyard. And people just kept coming and coming and I was constantly working folding bags, opening up boxes, etcetera. It was so strenuous!

But I finished at 10:30 and basically got to spend the rest of the day doing whatever I wanted.

sdcc15-01 sdcc15-02

Besides the panels, I think the booths downstairs are probably the most iconic parts of Comic Con. The entire area is opened up so you have this giant floor full of stuff. I love the Weta Workshop booth and always try to visit every year because I am such sucker for detail work. Their work on the Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit always blows me away. And the props they bring out every year are always spectacular.

They are also working on the Warcraft movie that comes out next year. While I've never really played the game too extensively, I think Weta is the perfect group for a movie like that. Just look at that armor!

sdcc15-07 sdcc15-06

Another booth I really have also come to like Rhode Montijo's booth. He is an author and illustrator of children's books and basically I adore his artwork. The booth has the cutest cardboard back drop and props. I picked up two things this year from him that I'll talk about more a little further down.

Another place I recommend is Artists Alley. Seriously, watching such amazing and creative people work and go through their processes is amazing. Their art is always floating around on the Internet somewhere and seeing them work on that stuff live is really inspiring.

sdcc15-04 sdcc15-05 sdcc15-08 sdcc15-09 sdcc15-10 sdcc15-11 sdcc15-12 sdcc15-16

I'm always a bit shy about asking cosplayers for photos, but I think I managed to get a good collection of photos here. I really wanted to cosplay this year, but my time has seriously been limited. Still, I had a lot of fun and I definitely want to cosplay next year. I'd love to do something Bloodborne related or maybe go with my original idea of Cardcaptor Sakura.

But since Comic Con grows every year, I feel like there's always something here for someone to enjoy. I've heard people describe it as overstimulating just because of everything that's going on, the sounds, the lights and displays, the crowds of people, with some in costume, the ocassional actor or writer or producer in a panel. There's just so much going on, I feel like you always need some time to really digest everything that you've seen.

And that's just the inside.

Outside, there are tons of events going on as well. The Assassin's Creed obstacle course has been pretty big this year and last. And the Gas Lamp Quarter street is literally closed down to accomodate everyone.

One thing new for me this year though was that I also donated blood for the first time. I want to save talking about my experience for a later post, but I think I'm going to start making it a tradition!

sdcc15-13 sdcc15-14

And if you're lucky enough to get into some of the panels, they can be pretty fun as well.

I managed to get into the middle of the Outlander panel and it was a ton of fun. There was an old lady a few rows in front of me and to the left that was super into everything and kept throwing her arms up with Sam Heughan was on the screen, it was awesome.

sdcc15-15

Truthfully, I've actually never seen Hannibal (I'm a bit squeamish), but I am a big fan of Richard Armitage, so when I heard that he was coming I had to try and get in. I was so happy with 1)being able to see and hear him speak and 2) see him in a flower crown.

sdcc15-18

I actually only bought two things this year, which my wallet definitely appreciated. The first is the Dark Souls Design Works book, which I was coveting since last year. I've talked about my love of Bloodborne before and this is by the same creators. Like I said, I'm a sucker for detail, so seeing all the design that went into making games is always so inspiring. And these other two things were picked up from Rhode Montijo's booth! The first is an art print with a pumpkin person carrying a 10/31 banner and the second is this banner that says "Dream Big", super adorable, right?

So what about you guys? Have you ever been to Comic Con or a similar type of convention? Would you go if you ever had the chance?

email | bloglovin | pinterest | tumblr | instagram | twitter

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Thank you so much for leaving a comment here! I try to read and reply every comment posted, and appreciate your thoughts. :)