09 April 2015

on my reading list

the reading list, bespectacled, life

I have to admit, being out of school has really affected my reading habits. Before, I would inhale whatever book I could get my hands on, whether it was for the joy of reading or as a means of procrastinating from school work, I had bookmarks in tons of books. But now, being a few years out of school, I find myself really struggling to sit down and just read a book. My bookshelves are filled with partially read and some unopened novels, which keeps growing bigger and bigger without me actually making too much progress into finishing any of them.

Don't get me wrong, I love to read and I do read everyday (I mean fanfiction totally counts, right?) but sometimes I feel like I don't have the time to just read a damn book.

And of course, like most people of the 21st century, I turned to Google to help me with my problems.

After following several links I found exactly what I was looking for in Ryan Holiday's aptly-named article on "How to Read More", and it was like a light bulb went off in my head. In it, Holiday I think the idea that we can solve our problems through reading is extremely poetic and a lovely one (after all, reading and writing are not new phenomenon: we have thousands of years of knowledge right at our fingertips, and whose to say that the answer to our problems aren't hidden somewhere in some book?) But the biggest thing I gleaned from this article was that getting yourself to read more is more of mental shift than an actual shift in your time. In actuality, I have more time than I think I do. I always give myself free time before I go into work and while that's normally spent on my phone, why couldn't I just change my priority from my phone over to my long list of to-reads?

For me, reading books weren't really high on my list of priorities. But for some reason, checking the same five websites, Instagram, and Twitter were? But I think that shift in attitude was all I needed to get me back into reading (and honestly, blogging) again.

Now I find myself just giving myself that time to read again. I don't know what problems a book about a police officer turned wizard-apprentice, a book on Henrietta Lacks and her famous cells, a book on physics, and a book about the history of the human body, can help me solve, but I am really looking forward to figuring it out.

So, what's on your reading list? Do you find yourself having trouble making time to read? What are some of your favorite genres?

1. Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch
2. The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot
3. The Fabric of the Cosmos by Brian Greene
4. The Universe Within by Neil Shubin

email | bloglovin | pinterest | tumblr | instagram | twitter

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving a comment here! I try to read and reply every comment posted, and appreciate your thoughts. :)