19 January 2015

new at the drugstore

new in at the drugstore, beauty, skincare, bespectacled, Burt's Bees Refining Cleanser, L'Oreal Infallible Pro Matte Gloss 511 Tantalizing Tangerine, Smokissime Powder Eyeliner Pen 703 Taupe, Physician's Formula Super BB All-in-1 Cheek & Lip Beauty Balm

I have to admit that I haven't been keeping up with new releases at the drugstore lately. I'm more likely to buy my skincare and beauty needs in places like Sephora or inside department stores than the aisles of Walmart. But on a quick peruse through Rite Aide during a trip to pick up ice cream (the perks of being an adult: buying ice cream whenever you want) I decided to pick up some things to try out.

My LUSH Let the Good Times Roll cleanser is currently on it's last legs and I was hoping that the new Burt's Bees Refining Cleanser would be a good change. NOPE.

I don't know why I keep giving Burt's Bees skincare a second and a third chance - nothing I've tried outside of their lip balms has really wowed me and more often than not it's way to heavily fragranced and irritates my skin. Case in point this cleanser. It doesn't smell bad, it's just way too much for me personally. I've used this exactly once and I decided never again. After washing it off my skin felt heavy and gross and the little exfoliant pieces in this cleanser felt jagged and unpleasant when I rubbed it into my skin. Needless to say this will be returned once I find the receipt.

But, not everything was god awful. I found two gems which I really have liked. The L'Oreal Infallible Smokissime Powder Eyeliner in 703 Taupe and the L'Oreal Infallible Pro Matte Gloss in 511 Tantalizing Tangerine are really nice products. The Powder Eyeliner pen is an interesting product - it really doesn't feel like a powder, it feels more like a creamy product on a spongy applicator, but I do surprisingly like it. I'm all about smudgy eyeliner and this does that extremely well. And it doubles as eyeshadow well too. This taupe shade is really pretty and the sponge applicator is easy to apply and it doesn't immediately set so you have some time to blend it out. Longevity is there too, which is nice. So if you're into smudgy or smoky eyeliner and shadow I'd recommend you try this out.

The Infallible Pro Matte Gloss is also a nice product. Matte liquid lipsticks are definitely having a moment right now and this new release from L'Oreal is a nice one to pick up. I have no idea why they'd call this a "gloss" because this is straight up matte, but hey, it's different from the other matte lip creams out there. The texture reminds me of a slightly more emollient NYX Soft Matte Lip Cream and it has a slight fruity smell/taste which isn't overpowering or unpleasant. Tantalizing Tangerine is a bit out of season at the moment but I really enjoy a good orange lipstick. I haven't really tested out the longevity because hello, bright orange isn't the most office appropriate lip color but of what I've tried it lasts reasonably well, a really good pick to consider next time you're at the drugstore.

And lastly something that I'm kind of the fence about; because that's a good way to end a post, right? I'm a sucker for a good two-in-one kind of product and the Physician's Formula Super BB All-in-1 Cheek & Lip Beauty Balm definitely caught my eye. But it's definitely one of those two in ones that work better as one thing than the other. This is definitely a powdery formula so it isn't the most pleasant feeling on the lips. It clings to every little dry patch and line on your lips and just doesn't look quite right. I find that it works a lot better as a blush and even then it isn't that special as one other than the fact that it has SPF 20 in it. It's workable but I don't know if it's one that I'll be using too often.

So, I'm wondering, are you guys like me and have been moving away from drugstore products? I mean I'll still try them out but they're not my number one pick honestly. Have you guys spotted anything new in your drugstore? Or have you tried any of these products out?

email | bloglovin | pinterest | tumblr | instagram | twitter

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving a comment here! I try to read and reply every comment posted, and appreciate your thoughts. :)