06 March 2014

disappointing products #1

bespectacled, beauty, jordana fabuliner, Maybelline dark circle eraser,
Unfortunately, not all makeup/beauty products work for everyone, and I thought I'd lump together some products which have been a bit disappointing for me, for whatever reason as a kind of reminder for myself to not re-purchase these and to hear what you guys have tried and just didn't end up liking.
bespectacled, beauty, disappointing products, Jordana Fabuliner, Maybelline Dark Circle Eraser
I thought had I found a really inexpensive felt tip eyeliner in the Jordana FabuLiner Liquid Eye Liner, which was around 2 or 3 dollars, however, the felt tip is really hard & irritating on the lids, and the formula itself isn't very opaque. It takes a lot of going over your line with that really irritating nub to get a line anywhere near the color black. The Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Dark Circle Eraser gets a bit of hype on amongst the beauty community but I find the applicator kind of fussy and it actually broke on me. The formula wasn't great either - since the applicator broke I can't really recall what I didn't like about it but the fact that I can't even try it again really annoys me. Plus any beneficial anti-aging ingredients are listed at the very end so any of those effects are probably negligible.
bespectacled, beauty, disappointing products, Rimmel Scandaleyes Flex Mascara, Maybelline The Colossal Volum'Express Cat Eyes Waterproof, Maybelline Great Lash Lots of Lashes
I've mentioned previously that I'm picky about mascaras because of my glasses - I hate the feeling of my lashes brushing against my lens when I push my glasses back up onto the bridge of my nose, it's just so unpleasant. And these three - the Maybelline The Colossal Volum'Express Cat Eyes Waterproof Mascara, the Rimmel Scandaleyes Flex Mascara, and the Maybelline Great Lash Lots of Lashes Mascara - are all culprits of that crunchy, uncomfortable on my lashes, mascara feeling. I'm sure someone who doesn't wear glasses might think these are perfectly good, but for me they're just really uncomfortable to wear.
bespectacled, beauty, disappointing products, L'Oreal Colour Riche Balm Caring Coral, Maybelline Color Elixir Signature Scarlet, Revlon Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stain Romantic
I'm a huge fan of all kinds of lipstick, and am usually pretty forgiving for lipsticks that don't quite do what they're advertised to do. But these three just aren't for me, unfortunately. For something that has the words "color riche" in their name, the L'Oreal Color Riche Balm in 418 Caring Coral is not pigmented at all, at least on my lips. On my lips this ends up just leaving behind a glossy and really slippery mess without any color. On the plus, it smells like cotton candy.

I just don't get the Maybelline Color Elixirs. It's thick and feels weird on the lips and the full pigmentation doesn't last for very long, maybe an hour or so at the most. The smell/taste is probably the worst for me. This is weirdly floral tasting/smelling and is just so unpleasant that I can't stand wearing this for very long. Maybe it's just my product, but I'm so completely unwilling to go out and buy another one, I shudder thinking about it! And lastly, the Revlon Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stain in Romantic - I actually like the balm stains, but the color of this is just so deceiving. I was hoping for a dark cooler toned red like in the packaging, but it's actually some weird orange-red shade that isn't flattering on my I think. I'll keep it - maybe later on I'll change my mind about the color, but for now it is a bit of a disappointment.
bespectacled, beauty, disappointing products, Revlon Chameleon Nail Polish, Covergirl Outlast Stay Brilliant Glosstinis in Scalding Emerald
And my last two products are more of an expectation problem than anything else. I expected something different from the CoverGirl & the Revlon Nail Polish in Chameleon. In the ad, the , looked like this cool textured glitter effect that was fully opaque, but upon swatching it on my nails it just ended up being this sheer glitter polish. And the Revlon nail polish looked beautiful in the bottle - this really cool bronze and blue duochrome polish. But that duochrome doesn't translate well onto nails and I don't think the color it did turn out - just bronze - was actually flattering on me.
Phew, another lengthy post! But I'm glad to have finally written about these products so I can finally get rid of them! The lesson is: read reviews & look at swatches before trying! I could've saved myself with some of these products, but for others it's all a matter of preference. With new products popping up, it's always fun to try, but just know that not everything will be great for everyone.
Anyway, what are some products that you've tried and didn't like and why not?

email | bloglovin | pinterest | tumblr | instagram

13 comments :

  1. I relate to this post so much - I had high hopes for the Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Dark Circle Eraser but was so disappointed at how quickly it creased on me. I think the Maybelline Color Elixirs is so over-hyped just like how the L'Oreal lip stains were considered dupes for the YSL Glossy Stains.

    Stephanie | theFantasia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Maybelline Dark Circle Eraser creased on me as well, and the formula wasn't anything special so I didn't want to deal with it. And I agree about the color elixirs, they're so overhyped! I think that there are pigmented glosses out there that probably don't smell badly.

      x

      Delete
  2. I agree with you, reading reviews and looking at swatches are important. I had the same experience with the Maybelline Colossal mascara. It felt heavy and clumpy.. I couldn't take it, had to take my entire eye makeup off.

    Marie
    candidlymarie.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really need to make it more of a habit to read reviews and look at swatches before making purchases...

      But I agree about the Colossal Mascara, it was so uncomfortable to wear, I had to take it off immediately as well.

      x

      Delete
  3. Hi! First of all, love your blog! Second of all, I totally get your disappointment with the Maybelline Great Lash. I once bought the regular formula thinking it would be this awesome cult classic, but the brush was terrible and the actual mascara formula wasn't that great either. I've got to say, though, that Great Lash BIG is awesome.

    vanitytalkbeauty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think I'm a bit hesitant about Maybelline mascara so because they haven't worked for me, but maybe I'll try that one.

      x

      Delete
  4. I really love posts like this.. as it's rare for bloggers to talk about what they don't like. They're a great way to save money! xx

    Gemma | Miss Makeup Magpie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, I wish that bloggers wrote more often about their disliked products - it would definitely save everyone some time & money.

      Delete
  5. I try out a lot of mascaras, and I know for sure that the Maybelline Full N' Soft regular version makes my lashes feel flexible, not stiff. I tried it back in the day when I didn't know how to keep my lashes curled, so I can't tell you if it keeps a curl or not. But it feels a lot nicer than Scandaleyes and the heart-shaped Great Lash. You could try that if you're up to it.

    Argh, the Great Lash was way too wet! People who like that formula must have lashes that can stand up to wet mascara. Mine just drooped. It was so disappointing.

    There's a "Products I Regret Buying" tag going around Youtube; people sometimes talk about hyped products that failed expectations. Maybe that can help you in your next mini-haul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My lashes droop no matter how much I curl so I'm considering a heated eyelash curler. I've tried the Maybelline Full N Soft before and liked it but like I said, my lashes just can not hold a curl!

      I'll have to check out that tag and keep an eye out for reviews and stuff, but sometimes when I'm shopping I don,t really read reviews and just want to try for myself, y'know?

      x

      Delete
  6. YES! Know the annoying eyelashes on glasses feeling so well! Love your posts x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate that feeling - I have to take my mascara off when that happens. And thanks!

      x

      Delete
  7. This is so helpful! I might do a post like this - it's handy to see what other people didn't enjoy so much x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment here! I try to read and reply every comment posted, and appreciate your thoughts. :)