August 2013 Favorites

2:48 PM

august favorites, beauty, skincare, Origins Drink Up Intensive Overnight Mask, Maybelline Fit Me! Shine-Free Foundation, Maybelline Full N'Soft Mascara, fresh sugar lip treatments
Sorry this post is a bit later than normal, but I'm back and I should have some more regular postings from now on. (knock on wood!) I'm glad that August is over because the month was rather dreadful for me. I've been suffering from some severe allergies and the weather has been so hot & humid, I'm hoping that we'll see at least some cooler weather in September! (Although in San Diego, fall doesn't really start until October). Anyway, let's talk about something pleasant! Here are my beauty/skincare favorites for the month of August! If you want to read more, click on the "read more" below.

Maybelline Fit Me! Shine-Free Foundation Stick
I was just intrigued by this. I like the idea of a foundation stick (mostly because I saw some Korean makeup tutorial that had one and I was like, that's super convenient). I don't like to put foundation on because it's such a hassle, but with this is so easy and quick. The consistency is surprisingly super blendable and the coverage is buildable. Plus it seems to work fine with my dry skin too.

Maybelline Full N'Soft Washable Mascara
I've been experimenting a bit with mascara, lately. Apparently, this one of Maybelline's older mascaras and I actually quite like it. It's not waterproof because I am about apprehensive about wearing waterproof makeup and not being able to take it off afterwards, but it's lasted through me biking through hot & humid summer weather. On me this lengthens a bit too much -- my lashes press against my glasses if I push them higher onto my nose, but it doesn't make them feel strange. I guess this is one of those oldies, but a goody.

fresh Sugar Lip Treatments in Rosé & Berry
This is my impulse buy of the month and I was so glad I got it. These are actually the minis, as I got the fresh Sugar Kisses Mini Lip Trio from Sephora. I ended up giving the coral shade to my mom as I didn't really like it on myself, but I love this product in general. First off, it smells like sweet lemon candy, which I absolutely adore. The packaging is cute, they have SPF 15 in them, and they've worked really well for me. I've written up a review for these things, but I'm practically gushing about them in it so I'm debating whether or not I should post them. If you're looking for color that lasts, these aren't it. But the soft & hydrating feeling does and I just love love love the smell so much I must look like a creep just opening these up and sniffing them.

Origins Dink Up intensive Overnight Mask
When I get sick my skin dries up like no other and my current night cream was just not helping me, and so I picked this up. It says that it's a mask but really I've been using it as a night cream and it works really well that way too. Other people have raved about this so you might have seen this featured on other blogs, but for me it does really work. One thing that I have to say about this is that I don't quite like the smell. It's not a bad smell by any means, it's this really fruity & citrus smell that's actually quite pleasant and not overwhelming. But it's not a smell that I associate with night time, if that makes sense? It feels more refreshing than it does calming, which isn't a critique of the product, but it's just a bit weird for me.

I also have some honorable mentions that I want to share. These are products that I liked, but just not as much as my favorites.
august favorites, lush dream cream, NYC smooth skin bronzing face powder in 720A Sunny, No7 Moisture Drench Lipstick in Romantic, Organix Moroccan Sea Salt Spray, Maybelline the Falsies Big Eyes mascara

First is the Lush Dream Cream; I'm really sad that I didn't like this as much as I wanted. It's an expensive product and I really wanted to love it. But alas. I like it as a regular moisturizer for the summer, it's hydrating without being sticky, absorbs quickly, and has this great cooling effect which has been great after a shower. BUT, I bought it as a treatment lotion for my eczema and it hasn't really worked out. I've been using this for a month and I feel like it hasn't done much to heal my skin really. Whereas I got the Aveeno Eczema lotion at the beginning of September and I feel like it's made a difference. So it's a good moisuturizer and I still recommend it if you have eczema, but for me, it's not so great.

Another honorable mention is the Organix Moroccan Sea Salt Spray, I like what it does to my hair, plain & simple. But I've only used it a handful of times, so we'll see if I'll still like it after 10 uses. Another product that I liked but just haven't tried enough is the NYC Smooth Skin Bronzing Powder in Sunny. I'm new to the contour game, but I've been liking this one so far in the handful of times I've used it.

The No7 Moisture Drench Lipstick in Romantic has turned out to be a really lovely nude-pink color on my lips, but they've been a bit too dry for me to wear this, despite being called "moisture drench", which is really a misnomer. It isn't drying if that's what it's trying to say, but it isn't hydrating either. And lastly, the Maybelline The Falsies Big Eyes Mascara. Mostly I've been using the Lower Lashes section, the brush is much smaller and makes getting mascara on those bottom lashes easier. I haven't really used the upper lashes section because I've been using the Full N'Soft mascara on those, but I suppose I'll trial it out later.

What were your favorite products for the month of August? Do you have any product recommendations (especially volumizing mascaras!)?

Follow me on bloglovin! Pinterest: herspectacles Tumblr: knitscarves Twitter: @akiterine

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Sorry to hear that the Lush product didn't work for you. I hope the Aveeno Eczema lotion works better as you continue to use it. But hey, if you keep the Lush packaging, you can get a free mask later. That's a plus.

    One product I loved using in August is from Organix, too! Mine is Organix Repairing Awapuhi Ginger Conditioner. It makes my hair sleek, soft, shiny, and even straighter than it usually is. The effects last for at least three days, so I don't have to use the conditioner often. And it comes in a big bottle, so it lasts a long time. If you're looking for an effective conditioner, I recommend this one.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment here! I try to read and reply every comment posted, and appreciate your thoughts. :)