drugstore versus high-end skincare

7:39 PM

Korres Milk Proteins Foaming Cream Cleanser, Burt's Bees Radiance Facial Cleanser with Royal Jelly, drugstore, skincare, high-end

Korres Milk Proteins Foaming Cream Cleanser, $21 & Burt's Bees Radiance Facial Cleanser, $10


First off, I'd like to apologize or the lack of posts the last couple of days, I've just been a bit uninspired to put something up, but now I'm back and with a topic that I've been pondered about since I've been able to shop at stores like Sephora & what not and is debated about in the world of beauty & skincare: which are better, drugstore versus high-end products?

This was prompted by a trip to Sephora the other day. The woman working at the Caudalie section of the store said something along the lines of "drugstore brands are like a band-aid and only provide temporary relief/change". And I agree, to a certain extent. My experience with drugstore cleansers have not been a pleasant one. And while I featured this Burt's Bees cleanser in one of my monthly favorites, it seriously dried out my skin and left it feeling tight and uncomfortable as I continued to use it. And this Burt's Bees cleanser isn't an isolated case, I've tried the L'Oreal Ideal Clean Foaming Gel Cleanser & the Boots Botanics All Bright Cleansing Foam Wash and both have given me the same problem. So when I decided to pick up the Korres Milk Proteins Foaming Cream Cleanser as my first foray into higher end skincare products, I was a bit apprehensive. I didn't look at any of the reviews of the product beforehand, but decided to pick this up a bit randomly. But I ended up loving it. Yet at the same time I find that the L'Oreal Ideal Moisture day lotion for sensitive skin is working better for me than the Benefit Triple Performing Facial Emulsion.

While I do enjoy my higher-end Korres cleanser, I think whether or not you should splurge or save is dependent on several different factors, your skin type, your age, the product type in question, and what you're looking for in the product. For example, because moisturizers sink into your skin I believe you should buy the highest quality product in your budget & for your skin type. Would I pay $150 on this Dior night cream? In the foreseeable future, absolutely not. But having tried other drugstore night creams before and absolutely hating them, I think I'd still want a higher-end night cream. In the end I believe it's all about knowing your skin type and knowing what has worked for you in the past. For me, drugstore cleansers & night creams are out. But I do like drugstore sunscreens & makeup remover wipes. Unfortunately, it's a lot of trial and error, but I think spending $21 on a cleanser isn't that bad. My recommendation is to definitely read reviews & to try and get samples before you buy.

So, what are your thoughts on this "debate"? Which side do you find yourself leaning towards, or are you like me and take the middle ground?

Follow me on bloglovin! Pinterest: herspectacles Tumblr: knitscarves Twitter: @akiterine

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. It's too bad some products didn't work for you; it can be frustrating to spend money and time on something and not get what you needed from it.

    For me, it's not so much about the price or brand of a product, but more about what ingredients a product has and whether or not these ingredients will do the job I'm paying for and suit my skin type.

    I don't think high-end products always have better quality than drugstore ones. There are some high-end products that have irritating, purpose-defeating ingredients, too. Like, Clinique's Rinse-Off Foaming Cleanser is formulated with potassium-based cleansing agents, so it's more likely to dry out already my dry skin. Clean & Clear's 3-in-1 Foaming Acne Wash (less the half the price of the Clinique cleanser) has sodium C14-16 olefin sulfonate as its main cleansing agent, which means it will probably dry out my skin, too. So I shouldn't buy either of them, regardless of price.

    If I can find a drugstore product that has an effective formula suited for my skin, that's great! It leaves me with more money to spend on other stuff. But if I can't find a good product within my budget, then I will definitely splurge.

    You're right about reading reviews and getting samples; those really help when choosing which products to try.

    Makeup Alley is a great review database, but I recommend using Beautypedia reviews from Paula's Choice. These reviews analyze the ingredients of most drugstore and high-end products so that you know how your skin might react to it. These are especially helpful for those who have sensitive skin.

    What kind of reviews do you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ingredients are definitely important and I do read ingredient lists religiously. Since I'm on the hunt for a decent night cream, I know the type of ingredients that will work well for me, but even then it's a bit difficult to know how my skin will react before hand and in the long run.

      I have tried a bunch of different drugstore night creams in the last few years and none of them I was really satisfied with. But at the same time I feel I'm still a bit apprehensive about the price. I tend to like brands that use natural ingredients in them like Origins & Caudalie, but the night creams I've been considering from those brands are both around $40 and I'm a bit hesitant about paying that much. Which has lead me to try a bunch of different drugstore night creams instead, all of which has been rather disappointing.

      For skincare products I tend to not look at reviews actually, because everyone's skin reacts a bit differently to products, I feel. And my only foray into department store skincare has been that Korres cleanser & a mask by Origins. The Korres cleanser was a happy accident type thing, while the Origins mask I use was highly raved about the internet and I wanted to test the hype for myself, and I do like it a bit. I tend to look at reviews from different bloggers, so I'll definitely check out those sites.

      Delete
  2. I totally rely on reviews...for everything! And as far as skincare, I am a bit of a cheapskate and rarely stray from Neutrogena. But for twenty dollars, if you really really love it, I think it's worth it! (now I'm sounding like a skincare advert whoops)

    Greta xoxo
    laviedegreta.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If Neutrogena works for you, I don't think there's a reason to pay any more for skincare. :)

      I do think the Korres cleanser is worth it if you have sensitive & dry skin. And really twenty dollars isn't too expensive really. There are cleansers out there double that and I can't even imagine spending that much on just a cleanser!

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment here! I try to read and reply every comment posted, and appreciate your thoughts. :)