review: Smashbox Photo Finish Hydrating Under Eye Primer

9:29 PM

Smashbox Photo Finish Hydrating Under Eye Primer Smashbox Photo Finish Hydrating Under Eye Primer
I had mentioned that this primer was what had caused me to start my ill-fated makeup ban earlier this July and I thought I'd give a more in depth review of why I thought that this product was a "meh" for me. Basically this product claims to be a primer and an undereye treatment at the same time, which drew me in (along with the recommendation from the staff at Sephora, I gave in!) and I thought it'd be the perfect primer/eye cream. But it's been rather disappointing so far.

As a primer I can't really complain, it does make applying concealer a bit better but the lasting power of this primer was comparable to the primer I was using previously for my undereye area, the Rimmel Fix & Perfect Pro Primer in 002, which was significantly cheaper. Plus I attribute fewer creases & settling into fine lines to the fact that I have a high quality concealer that's crease-resitant anyway. So okay, it was an alright primer, but what about the other properties? The box says that this works as a primer while "reducing fine lines, puffiness, and dark circles". I can't really attest to that because I've only been using it for less than a month now and according to the so-called research results on the Sephora website about this product you see key benefits after about 8 weeks of use and it's only slight at that. But really I'd like to have a talk to the people who did the research on this, the results don't really seem sound. How many subjects did you have, where does that "28% reduction of dark circles" come from, are those results even significant and how did you control for other eyecream use? Really, someone should hire me to do the research for their companies on how their products work for people because just because you say that there's a 28% reduction of dark circles, it doesn't really mean much if you conducted your experiment badly. /Mini rant over. But I doubt my dark circles would look any better after

And lastly, it claims to be "ultra hydrating" with a "69% increase in hydration" after you apply it on. And this I'm calling BS. If I decide to wear eyeshadow I do use this product to prime my eyelids as well as my under eye area and in both cases my skin still looks & feels dry afterwards. Another thing that I thought was a bit annoying was the packaging. As you can see in the second photo, the applicator of this is a bit different to other products. It's basically like a tube lip gloss applicator, however I hardly use it that because it tends to drag your skin when you try to apply the product -- something you definitely don't want happening on such a delicate area. Maybe it's just me, but I would've much rather had it pump out like other primers rather than trying to be innovative in a way that doesn't really work.

Bottom line, would I repurchase? Unfortunately no. I wanted to love this product -- I'm a big fan of products that do a combination of things, and while this is decent as an undereye primer I find that claims about it being hydrating untrue and I can't really say much about the anti-aging effects either. So all in all a bit of "meh" product, and I've definitely not willing to cough up another $29 for this. If you have a decent eye cream a product like this is actually completely unnecessary as I'd imagine your eye cream to do the exact same thing (hydrate & have anti-aging effects) but better. Next time I'll just spend a dollar more and get an eye cream instead.

Follow me on bloglovin! Pinterest: herspectacles Tumblr: knitscarves Twitter: @akiterine

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Thank you so much for leaving a comment here! I try to read and reply every comment posted, and appreciate your thoughts. :)