on makeup

10:23 PM

Sorry for the crappy photo; from left to right: L'Oreal Colour Riche Lipstick in 178 Cardinal Plume, Physicians Formula Sexy Booster Blush in Natural, & Neutrogena Shine Control Primer

So, as I mentioned in my last post, I broke my month-long makeup ban on this lipstick, blush & a primer. It got me thinking, when did buying makeup actually become somewhat of a problem for me?

In reality it isn't like I'm dropping hundreds of dollars weekly on products, my desk isn't filled with boxes upon boxes of makeup, and I don't buy products that I'll never use like eyeshadows and bronzers and what not. Except a few weeks ago when I went to Sephora planning on returning this concealer I purchased and I ended up getting something I don't really need and will not repurchase -- the Smashbox Photo Finish Hydrating Under Eye Primer -- based on the recommendation from one of the staff there. (Although I was recommended the Kat Von D concealer then as well and I absolutely love that product...) At $29 it really isn't worth it, especially if you have a decent primer working for you already. And really, I bought it because someone said it was good leading to some major buyers remorse prompting me to start up a make up ban on myself.

I suppose this guilty feeling is due to the fact that I keep questioning the purchases I make after I've made them. When I first get them I feel good -- I really wanted to try out a sheer red lipstick and I saw this one in a youtube video and I was really intrigued by this blush (I ran out of my current primer so I decided to try a new one) -- but afterwards I start to second guess myself. Do I really need another lip product? Do I really need blush? It's this vicious cycle of flip flopping between feeling good about my purchases and feeling regret.

I had a similar problem a few years back with clothes shopping when I first started getting into fashion and presenting myself a bit differently. It was a very gradual process for me not to go clothes shopping constantly and now I'm more thoughtful about my purchases and do a lot more thrifting and sewing now than I did before. While sometimes my closet feels a bit lacking I'm not going to clothes outlets constantly trying to add crap to my wardrobe. I suppose it'll take some trial and error and a lot of time for the same to happen to my makeup purchases. So, have I lifted up my ban on makeup? Yes. Will you see me rushing off the nearest Sephora to buy some makeup any time soon? Hopefully not. I'm trying to be a bit more conscious about the products that I buy and plan out my purchases a bit better.

Again, my makeup purchasing habits aren't awful, but they can always be a bit better. Do you have any advice or have come to similar conclusions about your spending on makeup?

Follow me on bloglovin! Pinterest: herspectacles Tumblr: knitscarves Twitter: @akiterine

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. beauty is usually a trait of the man
    or Women .
    beauty is learnt during appearances,
    sociology, sociable therapy. A "ideal beauty" is definitely an business which can
    be shown admiration for, or even offers capabilities generally due to magnificence
    in a very particular traditions, pertaining to excellence.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment here! I try to read and reply every comment posted, and appreciate your thoughts. :)